Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Artist , a new Silent Film!

Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo in The Artist
I am totally excited for the new coming french silent film The Artist! Yes, you heard right a silent film. For all of us who enjoys watching old silent films this will no doubt be a lovely treat!

I haven't seen the whole movie yet, but so far I could say that I have immensely enjoyed watching the preview.  Daniel Sarath from New In Cinema described the film as "roaring and creative crowd-pleaser that will inspire laughter, joy and cheer".

The Artist is a Romance story that takes place in Hollywood between 1927 and 1932 and focuses on a declining male film star and a rising actress, as silent cinema grows out of fashion and is replaced by the talkies.

Jean Dujardin who plays George Valentin wonders if the arrival of talking pictures will cause to loose his fame and career. Then everything changed when he meets Peppy Miller a young dancer, played by Bérénice Bejo. Perhaps she will be the one to help him get the big break. Or perhaps he has found a real meaning of his life.

The story so far is very real and captivating. And I have one word about the film production itself, magnifique! The first cilp that I saw I had to take a second look because I wasn't sure if I was watching an old film or a new film. Besides that the movie was made in black and white, which adds that classic look.  It was also made to look vintage, with captions and frame and all.

The film locations, the designs, the tap dancing, the performance, and the costumes, including the hair, makeup, and of course we can't forget la moustache sported by Mr. Valentin, all took me right back to the 20's.

I have been always mesmerized by silent films all my life. But just recently when I watched a Charlie Chaplin movie The City Lights that was when I realized that a silent movie can reach your emotions. The story was so compelling, and sweet that it actually made me cry.

So although The Artist is not a talkie, it has already become one of the best movies of the year. That right there says alot about that it's a movie worth seeing.

The Artist will be opening on Wednesday, 23rd of November in a theater near you.


Watch a clip of The Artist:




"An expression... a touch... a look... it's all too powerful to translate in words."
Carmen Johnson



Copyright © 2008-2011. Time Warp Wives. A Retrotimes Productions Website. All Rights Reserved. Research Information: Wikipedia, CBS Sunday Morning, and Youtube.

No comments: